Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Possible peanut allergy: Meira's trip to the ER

Yesterday was the day we tried Peanut Butter for the first time. Our Dr ok'd it since peanut allergies are not common on my side of the family and not to severe on DH's. Now I have heard of people actually putting PB on their kids first and my Dr, looked at me like I had two heads. She had PB on a English muffin, and loved it. She tasted it before and never had any problems so I wasn't looking for any!

Looking back now, around 12:00 she became very cranky and clingy. It seemed odd to me but I chalked it up to the diaper rash she woke up with after her morning nap. That was the first sign and I wish I had known! I feel like such a horrible mom!

Fast forward to dinner. She was cranky really didn't want to eat and she just wanted to be held. She started tugging at her dress like she wanted it off so I let took it off and noticed she was red and splotchy, I knew right away what could be happening and called the dr. They said give her bennadryl and get her to the hospital. I looked quickly and could not find bennadryl. At that point Jeremy came home and i noticed her splotches turned to hives and we brought her to the ER, we literally live two minutes away, she had no breathing problems so I didn't feel an ambulance was necessary. When we got to the ER we were brought straight to a room and her eyes were red and a bit swollen. After they realized she had no breathing problems we began the infamous Hunterdon Medical Center wait!

It got scary a little while later she began to try scratching her mouth, and then she got her steroids. She threw them up and began itching her mouth again so they gave her a shot of steroids. She got bennadryl and I swear the nurses must get afraid when they are around moms because I had to give her both the oral steroids and bennadryl! Seriously?

Anyway once she got her bennadryl four 3 hrs later we were free to go! To me the poor kid was so itchy she should have had it sooner. At least now I have some in the diaper bad along with peanut free snacks, epi pens and sanitizing wipes for hands and surfaces when we are out.

I will update after her dr apt.

No comments:

Post a Comment