Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

DIY: Hubby's Shirt to Summer Tank

HUBBY'S SHIRT TO SUMMER TANK










I decided to do this because I saw this pinned on pinterest. Only problem it wasn't a tutorial, but a link to someone's ETSY store. The shirt wasn't even available for purchase anymore, so I felt like crafting my blues away. It worked.

Things you need:
  • Men's button down shirt pre-washed and 1 sz bigger then you normally wear (unless you are pretty skinny). I used one that fit, and it turned out great, but I would like a little more room down by my booty. Yes, I have one LOL.
  • Sewing machine. You only need the bare basics to sew this.
  • Thick ribbon 
  • Safety Pin 
  • Lighter
I have no true measurement because I just eyeballed it really. I did however use a 1/4' seam and I tried my best to account for that. But the way I cut the shirt made it so I really did not have to account for seam allowance. If  I am confusing you just read on... ;)

I tried to document this as best I could but the lighting in the family room bites.

  1. If you are using a long sleeve shirt, go ahead and cut them shorter. Then cut along the bottom towards the armpit but do not cut into the vertical seam of the sleeve. Once to the vertical seam, cut the sleeve off. The shirt I used had a double seam so I only cut near the very first one in shown in the 3rd square.








2) Pin above and below the first button in the middle of the shirt aligning the part that opens (FYI not the collar button, but the first button of the actual shirt).  I used the pattern of the shirt to use as a guide for where I would cut (about 2" from the top). If you are using a plain shirt use a pencil and a ruler to make your guide. Straight pin across the rest of your shirt so the fabric does not move while you are cutting. See in the image below how I used the pattern on the shirt to cut.
3) In the first picture you will see what I meant about the double seam. I cut next to the first. I then used the second seam as my guide to fold down the fabric for a new seam eliminating a need to figure out seam allowance!!!! Yippee! Just keep straight pinning and the middle of the armpit will bunch a bit but its supposed to. TIP: I worked from each end to the middle of the arm pit. It was easiest and it eliminated "the bunch" for happening any where else.

4) Repeat and Sew. (A picture of the armpit bunch)


5) Here is what I did for the next part, it may differ for you, but it worked out for me. I pinned above and below the button, only going through the front of the shirt this time. and then folded down the front of the shirt, so that the first button was at the top. Straight pinned the center and proceeded to either side. The back side was tricky. Mens shirts have a curve, and some times a seam in the back. My hubby's did, but even though I didn't take that seam into consideration before I cut it worked out perfectly to what needed to be folded down. Make sure you are folding INTO the shirt. It's common sewing sense but just thought I'd add  it. TIP: Even though I just folded down the back in a straight line, it wound up curving naturally, I assume this is because of the seam I used to fold on.


6) Sew. See I made a mistake on the front. Since it will all be bunched together on the ribbon, no one will ever know. Also see how the back curved naturally in the second picture?

7) Almost done. Cut your ribbon. I don't have a ruler so I used about 2.5 arms length. Use the lighter to seal the ends of the ribbon and but the safety pin on one of the ends. This will make threading the ribbon SO much easier. Thread through the back, then the front. I doesn't matter weather you start left or right unless you want the bow in a certain spot. Once you have it threaded through the front and back, put it on and THEN tie the bow. Once you have the bow tied, and the length of the "straps you want, go ahead and have someone help you bunch. the front is easy but the back is difficult to do while wearing. I found even if I took the shirt off, it didn't feel right until I had someone else bunch the back. TIP: when you get to the center of the front, undo the button, separate, then tread the ribbon trough.

No comments:

Post a Comment